one step at a time...

We have had a few ups and downs over the last day, but overall Cannon is good. Yesterday evening his breathing became too much work for him and they decided to intubate and give him surfactant. It appears to be making a big difference. If he keeps doing as well as he has they will take the breathing tube out tomorrow morning. He will then go back on the nasal cannula. His heart scan showed that his PDA valve is still open so he is getting 3 doses of the medicine to close it and they will rescan tomorrow to see if it worked. His brain scan this morning looked great - no bleeding! He has been under the phototherapy lights since yesterday and will continue to be under them for a few days on and then a day or two off. Even though he does not have jaundice, the tolerable blood gas levels are a lot lower for preemies so it is pretty normal for him to need the lights. I am sure he likes the lights anyway because he gets to wear the cool little eye shades :) These pictures are from last night: The lights just fit on top and shine right through his isolette.
Here you can see the breathing tube and his eye shades.


I am doing pretty well after surgery. I had a tubal ligation as well so I have some pain from that in addition to the c-section, but it is tolerable. (that's right, we are NEVER doing this again!) Emotionally, I am up and down - I am sure that is normal. I am thrilled to say that I am not feeling that distance from Cannon that I did before he was born. As I laid in the recovery room my eyes just filled with tears as I realized that all those fears had completely disappeared the minute that I heard my sweet baby cry.

I received this beautiful (and Delicious!) fruit arrangement from all my wonderful friends at Archiver's:If you ever thought of sending one of these to somebody, do it! It was great. Thank-you gals, you are all very sweet.


3 comments:

  1. sweet Amanda, congratulations to YOU and your family. Cannon is in my prayers and I added him to our prayer chain. He's darling! (just like you and charlie!) Let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear again that there is more good news from the NICU! I will continue to pray that he defy's the doctors expectations of just how well he can do! He *almost* looks like he's tanning in there. Probably dreaming of palm trees and sand? Whatever is on his little mind, he looks comfy and relaxed. LOve it! I am also praying for you too! I think I would feel better if I got to eat that edible arrangement LOL, wish I was there to share it with you!

    Love you,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric, Mandy & Little Charlie, We are so happy to hear that everything is going well with your new little guy, Cannon!! What a joy he will bring to your family. Our prayers are that he will continue to grow and develope to become a fine man. He sure has some shoes to fill with his big brother. Uncle Lou got to talk to him on the phone tonight, what a cutie!! Keep strong and continue to seek faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. Through Him ALL things are possible. Lou, Cheri and boys.

    ReplyDelete