he is doing it on his own....

My mom and I went to visit Cannon this morning. I noticed right away that you could see his face so well- then I realized, his nasal cannula was gone! He has been breathing completely on his own all day. He is working a little harder than they would like to see, but he is doing well enough that they are not ready to put the nasal cannula back in. They are going to continue watching him closely through the night to see how he does. His feedings were increased to 15 cc's of breastmilk. He was getting a "nutrition cocktail" through his IV that was basically giving him all his nutrition, but now that the feedings have increased they discontinued that. He is still getting the lipids (fats) in his IV. Eric and I went tonight and I got to hold him. He is usually awake when I hold him and it is so cute to see him with his eyes open looking all around. Susan is his nurse tonight. She is great because she has been working with premature babies for 40 years. She is full of so much great information and she is always up for a chat. She was telling us tonight that although Cannon is fiesty, he is also very quiet. She said the quiet babies always do so much better in the NICU because they use all their energy to grow. :)

3 comments:

  1. Praise God that Cannon is doing so well! Feisty yet quiet....hummmm....sounds just like his mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that he is breathing on his own, sounds to me like a miracle! Just how I prayed. I love you and am thinking of you.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. always praying Amanda for YOU and yours!! what a joy Cannon must be! and what a miracle too!! hope to see you soon, michelle

    ReplyDelete