checking in from room 1601....

That's right...I have some new temporary digs! Well, our ultrasound appointment this morning did not go as well as we had hoped. The baby showed some growth but not on the same trend he had been showing before. The dopplers (bloodflow) were also up showing that the baby is having to work much harder to keep up. I went into the appointment pretty upbeat, thinking we were going to hear the same we had in the weeks past but it became clear pretty fast that Vanja (the u/s tech) was concerned. Dr. Bobrowski was pretty somber when she came in and said "I think you know what I am going to say, don't you?" My heart just dropped. She wanted to check on a few things herself, especially the umbilical artery to his heart to see how that was doing. The bloodflow there was moderate so she thought that could buy us some time to get the steroid shots for the babys lungs. We were able to get the steroid shots with Charlie and the doctors said it made a huge difference for him, so we are hoping for the same this time. She had me go straight to St. Alphonsus so we could get the shots right away. Complete deja vu from last time. I have seen some of the same nurses and the one that was checking me in even said to me "Your name sure sounds familiar....are you the one that had a seizure in the bathroom last time you were here?" Yep, that was me. I was pretty surprised that they would remember that. The plan at this time is to get the second shot of steroids tomorrow and if the baby is not showing any improvement, we will probably deliver on Friday. Dr. B. said we are hoping to squeeze out as many days as we can, but statistics have shown with this type of problem, the best case scenario is a week at the most. My tests all came back great - no signs of pre-eclampsia so it looks like we are still just dealing with a faulty placenta.

I plan to update everyday because I did not document any of this stuff with Charlie and always wished I had. So, feel free to stop by for updates. Who knows, maybe I can share some photos of my beautiful hospital gown or the 50 plastic bracelets that have me wearing on my left arm.

As always, I would appreciate your prayers during this time :) I also have some extra time on my hands now, so feel free to drop me a line if you would like. I would love to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Amanda! I was so praying that you would make it at least a couple more weeks!!

    We will pray that things will go smoothly and you will have those precious days (and weeks!!!) that you and the baby need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello to you in room 1601! I am continuing to pray...and PRAY...I know that God is holding you and that little guy in the palm of His more than capable hand. That brings me comfort! Wish I could be there with you. I will for sure call later to check in on you!

    Love you,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. mandy,
    we all prayed for you and the baby
    last night at prayer meeting and it was pretty powerful! i really felt the Lord's annointing so strong. please know that we are continuing to pray and will be watching the blog to know
    how best to be praying. we love you and eric and charlie. our God is awesome and able to do exceedingly, abudantly above all we can ask or think.
    lYnn and PJ

    ReplyDelete