looking good at alta view.....



We had our first parent-teacher conference for Charlie at his new school on Thursday. His teacher (Ms. Gretchen) really didn't plan on meeting with us since he just started but I said I would love to hear how he is adjusting so far. We had set-up a few goals before he started so they would really know what to concentrate on during class. One was for his fine motor skills and sticking with a particular task that he doesn't want to do. These two go hand in hand for him because he easily gives up on the tasks that are hard for him. The other goal was to encourage more socializing with his peers. After he gets comfortable in a situation he usually withdraws a bit. We are still trying to figure this out. Does he start to realize that he is different and doesn't know how to fit in? Or would he just rather play alone? Or is it because he just isn't interested in most things that other kids his age are in to? We really don't know.

He is doing pretty well with his goals. He still needs a verbal reminder sometimes and sometimes he refuses to do it, but she said he is already making good progress. He is doing all the things that they expect kids to do prior to kindergarten and of course she was very impressed with his reading and math skills. She said that all the teachers have fallen in love with him and he has been quite popular with the other kids. He loves to do his daily assigned job and snack time is always the highlight of the day.

A few months ago I found that I was experiencing quite a bit of anxiety over Charlie's educational path. I just kept remembering the child psychologist's comment "Putting Charlie in kindergarten would be a disaster. He will be bored and he will begin to hate school." Because of the motor and social issues, I was finding myself so conflicted on what to do. I don't want him to be bored in kindergarten, but I really don't feel like he is ready for 1st grade either. Combine that with him being on the smaller side and the homeschool vs public school debate and I was feeling overwhelmed. Honestly, I am still feeling overwhelmed, but I don't feel the panic I did before. We have decided to take a wait and see approach. Start him in kindergarten and see how it goes. We have no idea what is going to happen and how he is going to adapt. I feel a peace with this decision. I feel like it is the right thing to do right now. It may change later, but we will deal with it then. Right now he is happy at school, he loves it and he is doing great. Yay for that!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Look at how cute this blog is and especially the cute kids. I can't believe how big Cannon is getting. Woozers!! I think you decision is good because you thought about it and the fact you have the "why not try" attitude. If it doesn't work figure something else out. You never know he may thrive and have a great time. We really need to get together. I am really hoping int he next week life will calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Denver they do have schools "charter schools" that do performance grouping for math and reading skills and move them to other areas based on if they need more challenge or more help with those skills they still stay with their age group for everything else. Maybe if the time comes and you feel it isn't working you could look into that.

    ReplyDelete