a puffs addict....

I can honestly say that Cannon and I have had more good days than bad this last week! I never thought I would get to say that. I am SO grateful that I can. Before it just seemed like he was so unhappy all the time, I couldn't differentiate what was wrong. Now, it seems like I can finally tell when he is just tired, or hungry or if he is actually teething. I also think that it took him so long to warm up to food because of his teething. Which really seems to be never ending with this boy! I went back through Charlie's baby book and he only had 2 teeth on his first birthday. Cannon already has 5 and I think he will have another 1 or 2 by his birthday. This past week he was eating his baby food like a champ. He tried a lot of different flavors and likes most of them. He has also discovered a love for the little Gerber Puffs. He has gotten to be a pro at getting them in his mouth by himself as well. A week ago he was getting half of them in his lap and on the floor and now he will only miss a handful. His little pincer grip is coming in nicely.







I have tried to give him some small pieces of fruit and other foods. I thought he was doing good with it, but realized that most of it was getting stuck up in the top of his mouth. Then he would get too much and start to gag. I mentioned it to the OT today and she said that is something we will need to keep an eye on. She said if this happens it usually means they have very little feeling at the top of their mouths and they just don't know the food is up there, or it could mean that he knows it is there, but his tongue is too tight and he does not know how to use it to remove the food. She suggested that we get a small electric toothbrush and use it to rub on his gums, tongue and cheeks to help stimulate his mouth.
This really is a small thing, but it has had me a little discouraged today (that along with some other things we are dealing with Charlie on, but that will be another post!). I feel like we are plugging along and making some big progress and then get hit with yet another possible issue to overcome. Then I have to remind myself how far we have come and how much worse things can be and it gives me the strength to push on. Cross your fingers that Cannon will like the electric toothbrush. Amy said that it can help a lot, but the kids will either love it or hate it. We shall see tomorrow!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. He is getting SO big! And cuter by the minute! Just remember that every single kid is going to do things when it's "their" time. Wouldn't it be nice if they would stay on a predetermined schedule?! LOL. He is doing great overall! So proud of you and Eric as parents. You have faced all of the challenges with grace and patience and an unconditional overwhelming LOVE.

    Hugs,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so darling...what a handsome little boy he is. And I am glad that your good days are starting to outnumber your bad ones. We all have parenting challenges---they are all just packaged and given to us differently. You are doing great and raising two wonderful and adorable little guys! Love you you all.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say Love to you all...it is getting late and my fingers should quit. Night....:)

    ReplyDelete