three weeks old....

Cannon is still doing SO good! This week has mostly just been about gaining weight. He now weighs 3 pounds 10.5 ounces! They are no longer giving him caffeine as of today (caffeine is supposed to help prevent apnea spells). He is also no longer getting the enemas unless he does not have a bowel movement within 24 hours, but he has been doing great without them. He is also still doing great with his body temperature. They are keeping his isolette at 28.2C. The doctor gave the order yesterday that we can try to start breastfeeding. I was not ready to hear this at all last night. I was terrified when the nurse said "So, are you ready to give it a try?" He just still seems so small and I am already a little nervous since I had such a bad experience trying to breastfeed Charlie. But, I need to start sometime so I hesitantly agreed to give it a try. They really don't expect much to happen the first few times, but it went pretty well. We are supposed to do this while they feed him through the feeding tube so he associates the sucking with the full belly sensation. So, now the tricky part is going to be trying to get to the hospital as often as I can during his feeding times (which really are not that convenient). Between Charlie, all the time I spend pumping and going to the hospital, our schedule has gotten crazy! I guess I better get used to it, I am sure it won't be any easier once we get to take him home.

I know I haven't mentioned it lately so I wanted to say it again - As always, thank-you so much for all your continued prayers for our sweet Cannon and our family. We have been so extremely blessed these last 3 weeks. While it is heartbreaking to have our little guy in the NICU, it has been much easier this time around. The power of prayer is truly remarkable. Thank-you.

4 comments:

  1. We are so thankful for his health and life and strength! You are doing great! We are continuing to pray for you and Cannon and your family. I cannot beleive it has already been 3 weeks. Having worked in the NICU myself-I think he is doing remarkable. Better than most and I believe it is due to all the prayers! I will try to call you soon....love to all

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see him. I'm thrilled he's doing so well. Prayers continue dear friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am in *love* too! He is just so cute, I want to just sqeeze him! But not too hard, cause he is still really little. Prayer is strong!

    Love you you!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete