cannon's homecoming and thanksgiving weekend....

So, Cannon did get to come home on Wednesday. He passed the carseat test with no problem. He had his circumcision on Wednesday morning and then they called about 3:00 to say that he was ready to go! We got him dressed up in his own clothes and into his carseat and we were on our way.

A few pictures from his last night at the hospital...


When I walked in to visit him on his last night, I was greeted by this...he was covered in one of the blankets that my mom and I made and donated to the NICU earlier this year. It made me smile. When we made those we never thought that my own little boy would be using one of them just a few months later.
GiGi was there to help us get him ready to go. I brought a preemie outfit for him to wear and it barely fit him. The day he was discharged he weighed 5 lbs 5 ozs.
The nurse helped to make sure that we had him all bundled up in his carseat correctly and then they walked us out to the car.

We are slowly getting settled into a routine at home. The first day he was very sleepy and we were having a hard time getting him to wake up enough to eat anything. The first night was long, but went pretty good. He woke up every 3 hours to eat and then went right back to sleep. I did not get much sleep though because he is a noisy sleeper. Just like Charlie was. He has what they call the preemie grunt. Nobody really know why preemies grunt in their sleep as much as they do but some think that it is because their digestive systems do not function as well so they grunt to help move the gas bubbles around. Luckily, it is not bothering me too much now and I am getting a little bit of sleep in between his feedings and pumping. Yep, I am STILL pumping, he is not latching on and is such a SLOW eater that breastfeeding just wasn't working out. I am very frustrated - not really ready to give up yet, but it is a lot of work to bottlefeed and pump. Anyway, he has been a very good baby and we are so happy to have him home.

For Thanksgiving we got together with all the grandparents. I was not very good company because I was exhausted after our first night with Cannon. But the food was delicious and it was nice to spend the day with family. Feeling so grateful for them and all the support and love they have always shown, especially in times like these. I am so, so blessed :)

Big brother Charlie is doing pretty good with the new addition to the family. He gets very upset when Cannon cries. The few times that Cannon has gotten really worked up, Charlie gets so upset and starts to cry himself. He is so sensitive. He does not understand why Cannon sleeps so much when there are so many cool toys that he could be playing with. He keeps asking me when Cannon is going to wake up so that they can play. "Look mom, I have horns!"My two sweet boys. They melt my heart.

Thank-you to everybody for following our story and for your encouragement and support. I will continue to update with Cannon's progress. And of course all the craziness of raising these 2 cuties. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment