four weeks old....

I can hardly believe that it has been a month since Cannon entered our lives. He is still doing so great. He is 4 pounds 4 ounces as of tonight (he hit four pounds on Monday). He is off all medications except for vitamins. Tonight they were going to start the process of weaning him out of the isolette and into an open air crib. They basically have him swaddled in two blankets (plus clothes) and are slowly lowering the temperature in the isolette until it reaches room temp. As long as he tolerates it tonight, he will probably be in a crib tomorrow. We are still working on the breastfeeding. As long as I can get him to stay awake, he will usually eat pretty well. He is definitely not getting enough to consistently gain weight. The nurses say that 35 weeks is usually the age where feeding really clicks for the babies, so hopefully he will really show some improvement over the next few days. The doctor asked today that I make sure to be there to try to feed him at least 2 times per day. Once he is done nursing, they still give him some milk through his feeding tube. Since they don't know how much milk he got during nursing, they watch him closely for any signs that he is getting uncomfortable or is going to throw-up. The doctor said today that if he continues to keep doing as well as he has he will probably be able to come home in about 10 days! I can't believe we are so close to having our little guy home with us! I am so happy that he should be home for Thanksgiving. We are pretty much prepared for his arrival. I finally bought some diapers today so I know we at least have all the basics covered. We have received a lot of great preemie clothes so he will definitely be well dressed :)

I did not get any good pictures of Cannon today because he was pretty much swaddled all day and the lighting was just not good. Here are a few from this past week:




A cute little smile.....

Grandpa Rodger and Grandma Nita getting to hold him for the first time.
I love this one because you can see that his face is getting rounder and he is starting to get a little chub. He is no longer just skin and bones!

2 comments:

  1. WOW he looks great. I still want to go and see him, however we have all been sick with colds and coughs and big green bugers. I can't believe how much he looks like Charlie to me. What are you thinking on resemblence? I think I spelled that wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say the same thing about him looking a LOT like Charlie! They both have your nose and mouth I think. He is looking great and cuter by the minute! (Is that possible?..he is darling.)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete