a visit to the dentist....

So I know that I should have taken Charlie for his first dentist visit a while ago....I have just been putting it off because I didn't want his first experience to be terrible. This came from the struggles we have with getting his hair cut. He still acts like he is being brutally tortured whenever we walk into Monkey Dooz. I mean, who wouldn't be terrified of sitting in a fun little jeep chair while watching disney movies and enjoying a sucker? At this point, I don't think he is even that scared of it anymore, he just has the earlier memories of it and thinks he should be scared, so he wigs out. I did not want to have this battle at the dentist as well. I knew I couldn't put it off much longer so I went ahead and made an appointment - on Eric's day off of course. There was no way I was going to do this on my own. Eric talked to Charlie all about it the morning of his appointment (it was on April 7th). He was very excited. It also helped that he recently watched an Imagination Movers episode where they visited the dentist. They called his name and there were no tears or hesitation. I stayed in the waiting room with Cannon, but Eric said he did great. I was happy that I could hear his whole conversation with the hygienist. He told her all about his KISS toothbrush and his Lion King toothbrush and how he likes to spit in the sink. She started to scrape his teeth and she told him "Now I am going to clean the sugarbugs off your teeth with this tool." To which he replied "Do you mean the plaque?" Very surprised, she said "Oh, you know what plaque is already? Very nice." The only part he did not like was when they did the x-rays and he had to bite down on that plastic thing. The dentist said his teeth looked great and he was cavity free! He was so proud to have his name on the No Cavities board. He got a new toothbrush, some floss and a timer. All day he talked about his timer and couldn't wait to brush his teeth so he could use his new goodies. Anything to get him excited about brushing is good in my book. So happy that his first visit was a happy one. He is already talking about the next time.

(picture from August 2008. Even though I had the camera with me at the dentist, I didn't even think to take any pictures. What was I thinking?)

One thing I forgot, that Eric reminded me of yesterday, was when we were pulling into the parking lot. Charlie started to talk about how he was going to get some gold teeth at the dentist. Eric and I just looked at each other thinking where in the world did he get that idea? We just laughed, thinking of the idea of Charlie with a blinged out grill in his mouth. We mentioned it to my mom and she told us about the gold tooth she has in the back of her mouth that Charlie had spotted some time ago and asked her about. Good to know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment