i hate the bus....

We had no problems last year when Charlie rode the bus to preschool. I suppose that is because they picked him up and dropped him off right in front of our building. And they actually arrived when they said they would. So, I didn't even think twice about Charlie riding it again this year. I would rather not deal with all the chaos at the school doing the drop off and pick up.

Yesterday was the first day to ride it. The bus was supposed to come at 7:50 so we got there about 10 minutes early just to be safe. The stop is at the entrance of our community and is definitely too far for Charlie to walk to alone. We waited over 20 minutes and never saw the bus. So I loaded up the kids and drove him to school. I called later that afternoon to find out what happened and was told they changed the pick-up time to 7:36. Thanks for telling us!

Then I go to pick him up yesterday afternoon at 3:15. It was 3:25 and still no bus. I get a call from the school letting me know that Charlie is on the bus, but he freaked out after school and was afraid to get on the bus. She said he was very upset and practically hyperventilating. Poor guy. I was so surprised because he LOVED the bus last year. The bus finally pulls up about 3:40. It was 25 minutes late because of Charlie's little freak out. He is calmed down and looks at me like nothing ever happened.

This morning I make sure to get to the stop by 7:30. I wanted to talk to the driver to be sure there is someone to help the kids when they get off since he probably didn't know where he was going. It is a substitute driver and he doesn't seem to care what I am saying. I load him up on the bus and pray for the best.

This is where I lose it. The bus pulls up this afternoon at 3:20 and I am waiting to see Charlie's spikey-haired little head come down the steps and I don't see him. I walk up and ask the driver where he is. She says "Oh he got off at the last stop, sorry." Um. Are you KIDDING me? I explain that he is only five and he has no idea where to go. She just looks at me and says "Are you going to be okay?". I ran to my car to drive to the previous stop. I am looking around everywhere and I don't see him. I asked the mail carrier if she had seen him and she said a bunch of kids had just gotten off but she didn't know where they went. I continued to drive around another 5 minutes and I am beginning to freak out. Where in the world could he have gone? I call Eric and just as he picks up I see Charlie out of the corner of my eye walking around with another little boy. He is just fine and he calmly says "Hey mom. I couldn't find you." I was so glad that he was not upset. I was worried he was going to be freaking out (like I was!)

I am just so upset and frustrated right now and don't know what to do. I am sure that this will eventually get worked out and it won't continue to be total drama everyday. The regular driver should be back soon and we would get into a routine. But I am not feeling comfortable with this bus system right now and wonder if I should go with my instinct and drive him to school for a while. I don't know. What would you do?
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Oh that is TERRIBLE. I would definitely let the school know about the bus driver. If something happens that is totally their responsibility. The driver needs to be more careful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call the school and see what the options are. Then drive him until you can get it all worked out. It is extra time and added frustration for you, but at least you know here he is and that he is safe.
    PS: I would have been freaking out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stress!! If I were you, I'd drive him for a little while - especially since he's not totally sold on it either. Once he's in his school routine, then re-introduce the bus again when they hopefully have their act together. Sheesh! I'm with you...they're only FIVE! Good luck Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Amanda! How awful! I'm glad everyone is okay.
    I would drive to school. Nothing matters more than your child's safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda I would let the school know and the bus barn! Around here they are not to let the Kinders off without a parent or if you have signed something saying that they can get off by themselves. Also, show him something that is bright colored near your bus stop so that he knows to look for that. If you let him ride. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely drive him at least until the regular bus driver is back and you get things straightened out-I would request they not let him off without a parent at that stop to greet him! Sorry-I would have been scared to death and freaking out as well!! Hope the rest of the week goes smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY WORD! Okay everyone else sounded SO calm in their responses here...but I AM OUTRAGED!! That is completely and entirely UNACCEPTABLE!! On the schools part as well as the bus driver (or substitute) or whoever it may be!! The school is in charge of those kids until they are in your personal care and if something would have happened where you couldn't find him or he got lost or someone invited him into their house (even well intended) well I hate to think of all the scenarios!

    I would certainly NOT be letting my kids get on that bus again without a personal conversation with a principal!! And even then I probably wouldn't let him ride again. That's just the overprotective mother that I am though! Good thing Charlie acted like it was no big deal. My kids would have been totally freaked out, and wouldn't ever want to ride the bus again!

    Praying for a better Thursday for you my dear!

    Love u!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry Amanda, that is my fear of the bus. I didn't read what other people said but I would be on the phone with the principal and the Dept of transportation in your district, and his teacher and raise hell. The bus driver is not bus driver material :).

    I would keep trying the bus. I know I am mean. Once you spoke with his real bus driver, his principal and his teacher. I find that taking to the bus driver and maybe a plate of cookies so he know you and Charlie are always an effective tool in getting him to notice your kid.

    Are their any other kids that get on the bus stop with him? Older kids that you could maybe ask to kind of watch over Charlie on the bus. Little girls are always good to ask as they seem to have the "mother hen" gene at early ages. Be sure and let us know what you did.

    ReplyDelete