the bumbo....

Boy, how did a week already go by since my last post?

Anyway, have you seen the "bumbo"? They did not have the bumbo chair (at least that I know of) when Charlie was a baby. When I saw it for the first time I thought it was the coolest thing. When we found out we had another little one on the way, I knew that I had to get one. I really wanted the lime green one, but nobody in this area seems to carry it. Arrgg. Cannon is just starting to get some good head control so I plopped him in it to see how he did. Not too bad.


Today, both Cannon's occupational therapist and physical therapist came to see him. The bumbo chair was sitting on the fireplace and they quickly asked me who the chair was for (like it would be Charlie's!). I told them it was for Cannon but that he had not spent more than five minutes in it because I knew he was not ready. They told me that the only time he will really be ready for this chair would be when he can sit up on his own. What would really be the point of the chair then? Exactly their point - he should not be in it. He could develop some neck and back issues if he is(especially since he is already susceptible to these issues). Now, let me be honest about this right now. I secretly knew that they would probably not approve of this when I bought it. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Pat was Charlie's therapist also, and when he was a baby he was not allowed any types of toys like exersaucers or jumparoos. We saved a lot of money from not buying them, but there were plenty of times when I needed to fold laundry or make dinner where I wished I would have had an excersaucer to keep him busy for a few minutes. The thought is that babies should not be propped up in the sitting position when they are not ready. This can cause them to slouch and change the whole makeup of the muscles/structure in their torsos and back. It makes sense to me and I believe and trust in what Pat and Amy do. So, I felt like a bad mom when they left because I had boughten the chair when I knew I shouldn't have. Looks like it may be going back to the store. This will make Eric especially happy since I dragged him to a dozen stores to find the green one and now I might be returning it! The main reason I got it is for photo opportunities. It is so hard to get good pictures of babies when they are just lying flat on the ground. I cannot tell you how many pictures I have of Charlie with that obnoxious blue "underwater" fabric from his swing and bouncy chair as the background. (Which by the way, are okay since they aren't in a total sit-up position and offer support to the neck and back) Ugh. I was hoping to change things up a little bit this time around. Would it hurt to have him sitting up in the bumbo for just a few minutes at a time for pictures? Maybe I am just trying to justify it, but I think I will ask Pat next week and see what she says....(fingers crossed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment