a day at the park...


Last week we finally had a nice day so I decided to take Charlie to the park. He has been dying to get out. He has also been talking a lot lately about how he wishes he had some friends to play with. We don't know many people that have kids the same age as Charlie and let's face it, we have not been doing much socializing these past few months. I didn't realize how much it was affecting him. When we first got to the park, he kept asking me to play with him. I encouraged him to explore a little on his own and try to talk to some of the other kids. Due to Charlie's size and motor planning issues, I have been concerned that he will be left in the dust when school starts (socially). He is a social little guy, but tends to gravitate towards older children. Anyway, it wasn't long and I saw him running around with another little boy named Isaac. Isaac was about 6-8 inches taller than him so I figured they were probably about the same age. They ran around for almost 2 hours. I was getting pretty cold, but I did not have the heart to take him away from his new friend. As they began to play on the tire swing I could see that Charlie was having a hard time getting on it. Isaac got right off the swing and helped Charlie get up. It was the cutest thing. A little later, Charlie was not paying attention and he walked right in front of a little girl swinging. She hit him pretty good with her feet and he fell to the ground. He acted fine at first and then I could see he was upset. As I went to check on him, I saw Isaac walk over and give him a hug. I was so touched to see this sweet boy taking care of my little guy. I have thought a lot about Isaac since we left the park. How I hope Charlie will be as caring and compassionate when he sees others struggling. My worry for Charlie has gone away as I know that the Lord will continue to put more "Isaac's" in Charlie's path. To help him along and teach him what is right. Who knew a trip to the park could be so emotional?

No comments:

Post a Comment